Main Purpose of the Post:
Within the policy and aims of the Organisation, to participate with other Support Workers in establishing and maintaining high standards of residential social work practice within the organisation under the direction of the Head of Services and Registered Managers.
Responsible to: Firstly the Relief Staff Co-ordinator the respective Senior Support Worker and or the Registered Manager ultimately the Chief Executive or in their absence the Deputy Chief Executive.
Responsible for: Service user(s)
Relationships: To establish and maintain good working relationships with all staff and service users.
Location: You may be required to work at any location within the Organisation, as designated.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will be expected to work those hours agreed upon by the post holder, which cover holidays and sick leave of permanent staff.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will be part of a team under the direction and supervision of the Senior Support Worker. The post holder will be responsible for the health, welfare and emotional development of the service users within the organisation.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will strive to train and develop the aspect of self-care and independent skills of the service users within the organisation.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will be asked to encourage and maintain, where possible, a high standard of personal appearance within the service user group placing special emphasis on personal hygiene.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will report to the Registered Manager or a Senior Support Worker, any problems regarding behaviour, health and general welfare of the service users.
- Under the guidance of the Senior Support Worker or Registered Manager the Relief Staff Support Worker will ensure that adequate and appropriate leisure time activities are available for the service users within the organisation.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will be expected to encourage and participate at social functions, i.e. youth clubs, recreation centres, etc., and asked to monitor the interaction with other groups, and see that a level of socially acceptable behaviour is constantly applied.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker will be expected to record his or her observations on all aspects of behaviour, in the day book.
The Relief Staff Support Worker will be asked to pay particular attention to the following points: –
- The safety and wellbeing of the service users.
- Ensuring that service users use vocational and domestic equipment in a correct and safe manner.
- Reporting to the Registered Manager, or Senior Member of Staff, any necessary repairs or renewals in both the equipment and structure of the building.
- The storing of all toxic substances in a safe manner.
- Organising the collection of soiled linen and clothing.
- Escorting service users to outside agencies for medical treatment.
- The Relief Staff Support Worker shall at no time enter into correspondence or discussion, with either parents, or outside agencies with regard to the resident body, without prior approval of the Chief Executive or their Deputy.
- At no time shall a Relief Staff Support Worker take a service user outside of the establishment, without the prior approval of the Registered Manager or senior member of staff, or the Chief Executive or their Deputy.